Sunday, March 09, 2008

Got Snow?We do!
For once the weather guys got it right. They said it would start snowing around 9 a.m. Friday morning...and it did. They said it would stop for a while in the evening and start back up around 2 a.m. and it did. They said the winds would gust up to 35 mph and boy did they, notice the drifts. They said it would snow until after 4 p.m. Saturday. Yep it did that too. I guess it just goes to show sometimes they get it right, good job weather guys now bring on Spring!

I snapped these photos Saturday morning around 6:30 a.m. when I came down stairs to let the dogs out. It looked so peaceful, like a post card. I was up early because I had to be to work by 8. I left the house in our all wheel drive Explorer around 7 and got there by 7:45. Not bad since it usually takes me about 20 to 25 minutes depending on how many traffic lights I have to stop for. The roads were not too bad getting out of our development, some of our neighbor guys have plows on the front of their work trucks so they plowed their way out of the development. The road that leads form our development to the main road was covered in snow, but I just took it slow and steady. Saw a truck and a car going the opposite direction. The plows had been in our county but at the county line they stopped. The worst part was turning off of the main road onto the little road that Anderson's sits off of , it was about 2 feet deep, but I just moseyed on in to work.
I am glad I went in, my supervisor was pleased to have me. I was the opening cashier, the only one until about 8:30 when Sharon came in. She lives less then a mile from Anderson's so we were the only cashiers until 3:30 when we got two more to replace us because we were off at 4.
Surprisingly as the day went on we had quite a few customers. We had folks that drove, folks that walked. We sold sleds, scoop shovels (the kind you use for grain or manure), we were sold out of snow shovels. We sold a lot of beer, wine and toilet paper. We also sold sub sandwiches, lunch meat and bread. I even saw one guy buy a bag of ice, that was sort of weird. At noon a guy from Lowe's came in and said don't send anyone to Lowe's they had closed their store early. We don't close our store unless it's a major holiday (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) or if there is a nuclear attack. If we glow we go...if it's just snow we stay! Everyone was in good spirits and didn't seem to mind that we only had two cashiers and very few folks in the departments.

Around 2 p.m. I went out and moved my car so it would not get blocked in by snow drifts out in the employee lot. I got off work at 4 and grabbed some groceries. I left the parking lot around 4:30 and got home by 5. The road from the store to the main road was even worse by then. There was a car stuck going the other direction, I don't know why you would drive your Lexus in snow that has drifted as high as your hood, but folks do. The main road had been plowed so it was smooth sailing. There were semi trucks stuck at the top of each of the freeway exits, and the police were trying to help them get unstuck, that was kind of comical. There was a police Suburban trying to tow a semi that had two large tractors on it's bed. Hmmmm I don't think they were having much luck with that.


After I got home and sat down for about 25 minutes I went up and changed my clothes. I grabbed the camera and went out to snap pictures. I ended up helping Mike clear our neighbors driveway for her. Miss. Linda is over at her daughters house but we wanted to get it cleaned up for her. I shoveled and Mike used the little Sunbeam electric snow blower that was given to us with 3 wheels (it now has 4, thanks to Mike). The gas snow blower had a break down Fri. night. The belt broke, Mike attempted to go find a replacement part but no luck. We will have to order it on line. No one really stocks replacement parts for snowblowers around here. I guess they figure people will buy a new one for five hundred bucks instead of fixing one for fifteen. That's how much the part and shipping will cost.


Out back we have drifts as high as the patio walls. Some how the way the wind was blowing there was a clear path for the dogs to walk off the patio so they could exit to the right, that did not stop Rebel from attempting to go off the back steps. After he got about chest deep he decided to do a u-turn and go the other direction. Guess he is not as dense as we think.

No comments: