Friday, April 18, 2008

"I Met a Dragon Face to Face"

~Jack Prelutsky

I met a dragon face to face
the year when I was ten,
I took a trip to outer space,
I braved a pirate's den,
I wrestled with a wicked troll,
and fought a great white shark,
I trailed a rabbit down a hole,
I hunted for a snark.

I stowed aboard a submarine,
I opened magic doors,
I traveled in a time machine,
and searched for dinosaurs,
I climbed atop a giant's head,
I found a pot of gold,
I did all this in books I read
when I was ten years old.

This poem came home with Paige on the front letter that was attached to their "Scholastic" book order forms. You can order the books on line and they get delivered to the class plus the class gets points to earn free books for their room.

If I had written it (but I'm not that clever) it would have included, "I tamed wild horses with a gentle hand, I visited fairies in a magical land, " since Paige seems to enjoy animal stories and anything magical. My girls are so fortunate they have such a wide variety of children's literature now. I love it when Paige reads a book and then she says "Mom that was really good, you should read it." I have started reading one of the books she suggested "The Penderwicks". I had bought if for her last year from one of the book orders. It always makes me happy when she really loves one of the books that I picked for her.
Paige and Rebel having a read. Picture credit goes to Aunt Shann Feb. 2008
These are two of the books that Paige is currently reading. One is from the school library and the other is from our wonderful public library. We are very blessed with an incredible library system. We reserve books, movies and c.d.s on line, they have a super summer reading program for the kids and both Paige and Megan loved their story time programs for toddlers in the "story garden" when they were young.
Can you tell that I am thrilled to be raising readers?

No comments: