Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sometimes the best gifts don't come in shiny packages and they aren't brand new. Sometimes they come in big cardboard boxes and the contents might have a few miles and lots of memories.
That pretty much sums up Mikes Christmas present from my dad this year. I had talked to my my dad in early December and told him that Mike might like a gift card to a sporting goods store since he was looking to get a reel for a fly fishing pole his dad had given him last year.

Well my dad came up with a better idea he decided to send Mike his old fishing vest and my 94 year old Grandma's fly pole. When the package came in mid December I peeked inside and then wrapped it up. I was pretty excited that I didn't have to work on Christmas eve day since that is the time that we usually open our gifts from our family out West.
That metal tube contains my Grandma's fly pole and it has her name inscribed on it along with her nickname "Road Runner'. She put a lot of miles on her old Ford pick up/camper when I was a kid. She has fished with that pole in some pretty sweet spots in Northern California. If that pole could talk I'm sure it would have some great fishing stories to share.




You can see from the grin on Mikes face that he is pleased with this generous gift. He did ask me if I could make a new fabric pouch for the pole, something about the daisy's being a little bright or something. I told him I will make one out of some manly flannel but I'm keeping the daisy one because it reminds me of my Grandma and it makes me smile.
By the way the other day I was chatting with my Grandma and I told her that Mike was thrilled to have her fishing pole. She said " I wish I could come out there and fish with you kids" and then she added "don't let Mike out fish me with my old pole". I told her " Grandma I'm pretty sure that would be impossible for him to do".







My dad say's he thinks he got that fishing vest in about 1971 or 72 so Mike would have been about 3 or 4 years old. I washed up the vest after Mike unloaded all of the gear (reels, and tackle) out of the pockets and it looks good as new and ready for more adventures.

2 comments:

JustMeShann said...

This is a Great picture of Mike :) I am glad grandma's love of fishing went to live with you and Mike... Always/Always,Shann

LAC said...

Oh, wow. What a great gift. So much better than a gift card anyday.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait for the first pictures of the trout in the spring.